Use FSG Transfer feature to transfer reports from one instance to another instance
As a normal practice FSG Reports are done/setup at the Production Environment itself. This is due to two main reasons:
- Data Dependability or Executed with Actual and Live Data
- Time consumed to repeat the entire setup in Production if the setup was first done in development or test instance.
But most of the companies today are into security policies which do not permit implementers to do the setup directly into the Production Instance. This is again for the very reason of securing data though FSG Report does not manipulate any data. However, these security policies are subject to entire data of the company.
Also at the time of creation as human errors are always possible, one tends to commit some mistakes when defining Row Set, Column Set, Report and Report Set. So in a way the security policy gives the implementer a free hands and thinking to test anything he/she wants when defining a report since this is done in only development or Test.
But having said this, assume there are more than 10 reports to be developed. If a company is going for an ERP, definitely it is presumed that the turn over of the company is good which indirectly means loads of account codes. It is very difficult to replicate reports. That too companies like GE have three to four instances before Production.
Easy Way to Transfer FSG Reports
To satisfy this need Oracle has a Standard feature called FSG Transfer. This program through a DB link transfers all the reports and its component from Source to Destination. With this feature not only for company which has security policies in place but also for all the companies, the reports can be prepared at Development Instance which gives implementer enough space to test and think freely.
- Database Link between Source instance and destination instance
- CoA must be same in both the instances
- If you have different currency from Source to Destination and the same is used in the Report Setup, define that currency in Destination instance.
- Must connected to the Destination Database (login to the instance)
- All the account codes that are used in defined row set or column set or content set must be available in the destination instance too.
- See that the report which needs to be transferred from Source to Destination instance is not defined already in the Destination Instance. If exists, please delete before running the Transfer Program
Setup Steps Destination Instance:
- Define Database Links – Mandatory
Responsibility : Oracle General Ledger Super User
Navigation : GL Super User à Setup à System à Database Links
Note: Do Not Enter any value for “Description” field (The second one from the top as in the above figure).
- Define Currencies – Optional
- Define Budgets / Encumbrances that prevails in the report (must be same as same as in Source Instance
- Define Accounts Codes / Enable Account Codes – Optional
Run “Program – FSG Transfer”
Run the FSG Transfer program to copy report objects from one General Ledger database to another. You can copy row sets, column sets, reports, report sets, content sets, row orders, display sets, and display groups.
To run the FSG Transfer program:
1. Navigate to the Submit Request window.
2. Select the concurrent program named Program – FSG Transfer.
3. Enter the program parameters.
4. Submit the request.
5. When the concurrent request finishes, review the report for any warnings and error messages. If there are errors, correct them, then rerun the FSG Transfer program.
FSG Transfer is a program that you can run in General Ledger which gives you the ability to copy Financial Statement Generator (FSG) components from one environment to another. For example, you might want to transfer your FSG’s from a TEST environment to your PRODUCTION environment.